Guys Night Out Party Theme Ideas & Activities
Sports themes are great for many different parties. Whether it’s your son’s birthday, your husband’s birthday, or a “guys’ night out” you’re planning, a sports theme is always a winner. But don’t forget the girls. Many girls would far prefer a soccer themed birthday party to a girly tea party.
First, choose your sport or decide that you’ll cover a variety of sports. Here are some ideas to help you decorate.
• Decorate using your guest of honor’s favorite team colors. So don’t just throw a football party, throw a football party that honors your guest of honor’s favorite team. Buy balloons, streamers and paper products in team colors.
• Use green tablecloths for football, baseball, soccer, golf or tennis parties. Your table will look like turf.
• Use balls for place cards. Simply write the guest’s name on a baseball, tennis, golf ball or small sized football or soccer ball.
• Put flowers in helmets for centerpieces.
• Use hockey pucks as coasters for a hockey party.
• Place a basketball hoop over the trashcan. Your guests won’t be able to resist throwing away their trash.
• Use a triangular pool ball rack to hold a colorful variety of cupcakes. Sit them on a green tablecloth and it looks just like you’re ready to break!
Serve “stadium food” – Hot dogs, popcorn, peanuts and nachos make your guests feel just like they’re at the game.
Cake is a must – It’s so easy to create something perfect. Make a cake that resembles one large ball, puck, bat, helmet, etc. Or, make cupcakes that look like baseballs, soccer balls, etc.
Serve beverages in plastic stadium cups – Many companies will personalize these for you. Personalized stadium cups make a great favor for the guests to take home.
Make sure all activities center around the sport of choice or a variety of sports. Consider a batting cage for your front yard, or a soccer or hockey goal where guests can practice taking shots.
If you have enough guests, consider an actual game of the sport of your choice. In fact, I recommend making sure you have enough guests to accomplish this. For my son’s 10th birthday, he wanted a football themed party. We played football trivia while we ate and then my husband coordinated a game of flag football in the front yard. Talk about a simple party!
Or, consider having your sports party at a sports activity. For example, many skating rinks have party rooms – what a perfect place to host a hockey themed party! Or see if you can use a local baseball or soccer field that’s free for the day. Have a picnic on the sidelines and a game for the guests. Finally, if your child’s favorite sport is martial arts, see if his instructor will give a special class for the birthday child and guests. Many instructors are happy to do this for their students for a nominal fee because guests of the party are likely to become interested in the sport and come to the instructor for classes.
Sports parties have all sorts of possibilities. All you need is a guest list and a favorite sport or sports. Check out MyExpression.com for a wide variety of sports themed invitations perfect for children or adults.