It’s an exciting once-a-year event, and who can blame you for wanting to pick a place with a great atmosphere to ring in the New Year? No one in their right mind can dispute the absolute excitement generated by December 31st. With a variety of venues to choose from, you too can celebrate New Year’s Eve in style!
Let’s Get This Party Started!
• New York City’s Time Square. Perhaps one of the most spectacular parties in terms of viewer turnout, an estimated million people gather in the square to watch the ceremonial mirrored ball drop each year and over a billion people nationwide tune in their television sets to take part in the ritual. Word to the wise: If you are even the least bit claustrophobic, this event is not for you. With that many people in a crowd, you will find yourself standing elbow to elbow with your neighbor (that is, if you’re lucky enough to have that much space!). Those that are squeamish in large groups are better off watching the event from the safety of their living room.
• The Las Vegas Strip. What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas! With so many tempting options luring you in, is it any wonder that the Nevada tourist destination is nicknamed Sin City? Bright, neon lights and fireworks light up the skies as tens of thousands gather on the Strip and exotic clubs to ring in the New Year. Word to the wise: Pick a spot on the strip and remain there for the duration of the evening. If big crowds scare you, check out the view from one of the city’s many hotels and resorts.
• Club Hopping in London. Not only is there a spectacular display of fireworks to view from the London Eye, but the nightclubs are a hub of activity. Flutter from one popular club to another with relative ease. Beware, however, that the pubs will be every bit as crowded, and the clubs may charge a cover to keep the crowds under control. Word to the wise: If you are a traveler on a budget, you may be better off watching the festivities occur from the window of your hotel room.
• Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Walt Disney World isn’t the only tourist destination spot in Orlando. Grown-ups can don their Mickey Ears and still have a great time celebrating the holiday in one of the many pubs, restaurants, or nightclubs located in the historic section of the Central Florida town. Word to the wise: Hire a sitter for the night and leave your children at home. Although Orlando has a lot to offer your pint-sized wonders, this is one location where children shouldn’t be seen nor heard.
• Your Own Home or Friend’s House. A great place to party year round, you and your friend’s home offer the same entertaining atmosphere as other venues, but with a lot less headache.
No matter where you decide to hang your party hat, New Year’s Eve is a great time to go out and enjoy yourself.
Casino / Las Vegas Style
The Vegas Strip at night resembles the inside of a pinball machine. Multi-million dollar hotels with casinos tucked inside their lobby cry out to unsuspecting tourists who are jet lagged and wanting a place to lay their weary heads. Lounge singers croon and superstars from the past sell pricey tickets to their shows. Humbled gamblers leave the city with fond memories and a lot less money in their pockets. The city’s slogan, “Whatever happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas,” has become a staple in household conversations, giving a person the right to visit Sin City without actually confessing to his or her sins.
Want an inventive theme for your next New Year’s Eve Party? Why not throw a Vegas Style Casino Party and bring the exciting atmosphere of one of the country’s biggest tourist destinations to the comfort of your living room? With a little time and patience, you can throw a really inventive event that is rich in imagination as well as experience.
High Rolling Invitations
Now that you’ve picked the date and set the theme, the time has come for you to pick out the perfect stationery. Invitations featuring a casino theme complete with dice, chips, and the deserts of Nevada will have your guests screaming “Jackpot!” Make sure to include your name, the date of the party, the time when you’ll be celebrating, and the place where you are having the gathering. You should also include driving direction for out-of-town guests in your Vegas-inspired party invitations.
Lady Luck is on Your Side
Big, bold, and beautiful should be your objective when selecting decorations for your New Year’s event. Depending on your budget, you can choose from a variety of different games from roulette to blackjack to authentic slot machines that spit out coins or poker chips.
Set the games up amidst brightly colored neon rope lights and flashing signs. Provide guests with enough chips to make playing the games worthwhile. Collect the chips at the end of the night and award prizes to the winners. Light up dice and decks of playing cards make inexpensive, fun gifts. Las Vegas themed souvenir shirts are a crowd pleaser as well.
Party packages complete with hats, tiaras, noisemakers and poppers come in a variety of different styles. Playing cards and chips can be glued to regular party hats if the package is unavailable.
Serve portable foods like crab dip, herbed crackers, cubed cheese, pretzels, peanuts, and pimento and cheese sandwiches. These items can be put on a plate and be carried around from game to game easily.
Have a variety of drinks on hand and call it an open bar. Just make sure that everyone has a designated driver lined up just in case they can’t drive themselves home.
Bring the excitement of a big city to the safety and comfort of your own living room. When you throw a party Vegas style, no airfare or special identification is required.
New York City Style
Times Square, located in the heart of New York City, is a virtual madhouse on New Year’s Eve. From around the world, people stand elbow to elbow to enjoy a glimpse of the city’s ceremonial ball. A sign of the times, the ritual draws in hundreds of thousands of people to the square to symbolically usher in the new and bid farewell to the previous year. Fireworks light up the sky and spectators cheer wildly once the clock strikes midnight. People embrace and begin to break their new year’s resolutions with such fervor it is a wonder that they even bothered to think them up in the first place.
For the men and women who are unable to watch the event unfold in person, televised coverage will give them the same elated feeling. If spending money on overpriced plane tickets isn’t how you want to spend your new year, why not throw a party centered on the glitz and glamour of New York City? The bustling city streets and beautiful skylights can be recreated in a way that will make your event shine. With the Empire State Building as your backdrop, you can be free to do whatever you want to do to get prepared for the party of the year. Make it as elaborate and over the top as you wish. The Big Apple is one place where anything goes!
Bright Lights, Big City Invitations
A star studded event can’t be complete without the right kind of invitation. Why not pick one featuring a NYC cityscape illuminated by spotlights? Yellow taxi cabs and the Statue of Liberty give the stationery an authentic look, setting the tone for an unforgettable New Year’s Eve.
Champagne Tastes on a Beer Budget
Upscale living doesn’t have to cost you an arm and a leg like it does in the city. DIY decorations are all the rage these days. Why not grab a couple of strings of colored lights, some sheer black fabric, and a miniature disco ball and use that to recreate NYC? Poke holes into the fabric and push the bulbs through to make your own city lights. Staple the fabric to the ceiling and arrange the mirrored ball in the middle of the room. Turn out the lights and have your own countdown to midnight.
Use authentic NYC souvenirs as centerpieces. Statues and figurines of famous locations and official city posters can be purchased very inexpensively.
Serve pink champagne, apple martinis, and Cosmopolitans out of plastic glasses. A dozen can be purchased inexpensively at any party supply store. Serve appetizers that are light like cheese and crackers, slices of fresh fruit, and miniature quiches. All these items can be made the night before as long as they are kept refrigerated.
Give everyone a party hat and a noise maker to ring in the New Year. Play games and award the winner an “I Love New York” shirt.
You don’t have to travel far to enjoy the luxury of big city nightlife when you plan a jaw dropping, awe inspiring New Year’s event like this one.